Cardiovascular Engineering is a field of study related to blood circulatory system in the body. This system integrates many organs to function such as heart, lungs and vascular network. Engineering approcaches are applied to study this system i.e. fluid mechanics, continuum mechanics, image processing, numerical methods. Using engineering approaches combined with life sciences knowledges bring us to understand functions and mechanisms of the circulatory system in both normal and pathological conditions.
Principle Investigator (PI): Surapong Chatpun, Ph.D.
Research of Interests:
- Blood substitutes, Microcirculation and Microhemodynamics
Blood transfusion is relevant for traumatic patients to maintain physiological function of organs and tissues. Development of blood substitutes is progressively mandatry to use in blood transfusion due to easy to use, longer shelf-life and no immunological problem. Microcirculation study using a window chamber model facilitates the study to understand how blood substitutes affect in microvascular level.
- Cardiac mechanics and Biomechanics
Cardiac activities i.e. cardiac mechanic, cardiac electrophysiology, are complex and multiscale phenomena. Experimental studies as well as computational modeling are necessary to perform to understand and solve the cardiovascular problems.
- Samerphob N, Cheaha D, Chatpun S, Kumarnsit E. Hippocampal CA1 local field potential oscillations induced by olfactory cue of liked food. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory. 2017,142:173-181
- Prachgosin T, Leelasamran W, Smithmaitrie P, Chatpun S. Effect of total-contact orthosis on medial longitudinal arch and lower extremities in flexible flatfoot subjects during walking. Prosthetics and Orthotics International. 2017, 41(6):579-586.
- Nouman M, Leelasamran W, Chatpun S. Effectiveness of Total Contact Orthosis for Plantar Pressure Redistribution in Neuropathic Diabetic Patients During Different Walking Activities. Foot & Ankle International. 2017, 38(8):901-908
- Prakobkarn A, Ina N, Saeheng S, Chatpun S. Carotid artery stenosis pre-assessment by relationship derived from two-dimensional patient-specific model and throat velocity ratio. World Journal of Modelling and Simulation. 2017, 13(1): 3-11.
- Carty G, Chatpun S, Espino DM. Modeling Blood Flow Through Intracranial Aneurysms: A Comparison of Newtonian and Non-Newtonian Viscosity. Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering. 2016, 36(3):396-409.
- Chatpun S, Sawanyawisuth K, Wansuksri R, Piyachomkwan K. Characterization and physiological effect of tapioca maltodextrin colloid plasma expander in hemorrhagic shock and resuscitation model. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine. 2016, 1;27(5):1-2.
- Chatpun S., Meesane J. and Rujirojindakul P., Physicochemical properties and responses in microcirculation of native tapioca starch-based plasma expander. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2016, 104(2):395-401.
- Prachgosin T., Chong YR D., Leelasamran W., Smithmaitrie P and Chatpun S., Medial longitudinal arch biomechanics evaluation during gait in subjects with flexible flatfoot. Acta of Bioengineering and Biomechanics 2015, 17(4): 121-130